An adult can petition the court to officially grant a change of name. It involves filing several forms and following the court’s name change process. The result is a court order recognizing the new name.

In the case of a minor child where both parents agree, changing a child’s name can often be as easy as changing the name of an adult. One or both parents can also petition the court to change the name of their minor child. Where both parents request the change, courts normally grant the request automatically. When one parent alone petitions to change a child’s name the other parent must be given proper notice of the proposed name change.

We are able to help with:

  • Adult change of name for someone over the age of 18 (not as the result of a divorce or separation.)
  • Child change of name for someone under the age of 18.
  • Ex Parte to Restore Name, restoring a previous or maiden name as the result of a divorce or separation.

Give us a call or visit our Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo offices to get stated. 

(805) 237-7770

name change

Contact us for a consultation